• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Slipped and fell in grocery store

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ms_dreamrider

Louisiana
:( While walking in my neighborhood grocery store, on July 13, 2005, I slipped in a puddle of clear liquid and fell on my left knee. The manager saw me and came over to me asking me if I was allright, I told her my knee hurt and that she should have someone clean up the spill before someone else slipped. When the both of us turned to look at the spill, we noticed the wet floor cones, but they were not marking the spill, she stated that someone must have moved one of them, it happens all the time. She asked me if I wanted to fill out a accident report, so I did. When I got home I noticed my knee was swollen and it hurt to walk, so I went to the hospital. The DR said I had fluid causing the swelling, sent me to have x-rays, nothing was broken or fractured, he gave me a prescription for anti-flammatory and had the nurse put a leg brace on me , told me to go see an Orthopedic and discharged me. I went to see my primary and he gave me a referral for the Orthopedic. When the insurance company called me, I told them everything, she had me fax all papers from the hospital and doctor, then called me back with a settlement offer of $300.00 and told me they would NOT pay for the Orthopedic appt.
This is the first time I've ever been hurt in a store, I really don't know what to do :confused:
Any advise you have for me is greatly appreciated!!

Last edited:

djohnson

Well to get anywhere you would have to prove that they knew the spill was there, they moved or knew the cones were moved before you slipped. The burden of proof is on you, otherwise its not negligience, its just an accident. If the dr's have found nothing basically wrong but a little swelling and gave you anti inflammatories, then I do think the Orthopedic would be excessive also. I think if they offer to pay for the other medically bills, you came out ok. Ofcourse you can sue for anything, but winning, or even finding a lawyer to take your case is a different matter. This is just my opinion.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">