• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

obtaining a Secret security clearance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

someRandomperso

This would be for Nebraska.

I just recently applied to an engineering job which mentioned that I would need to be able to get a secret security clearance. At first, I didn't think anything of it, but after thinking about it, I started to wonder if this could even work out for me becasue of my citizenship and past indiscretions.

First off, I'm a Canadian citizen, and I've had a greencard to live in the US since 1986. Ok, also when I was a teenager, I was arrested for burglary (bad phase in my life, I'm definitely not like that anymore). This actually was also in 1986, and strangely enough before I got my greencard. Then when I was in college, and I was returning from a trip from British Columbia, I was arrested at the border because I had a marijuana pipe with me (1995). The charges were dropped after I paid a steep federal and state fine.

So now its 2005, I have a BS in mechanical engineering (actually in 2000). I've had no brushes with the law, no tickets, have good credit, good references, decent jobs, etc.

What are my chances here, will my past hang me up?

I had a secret clearance in the Navy. Wasn't that big a deal to get. I think that basically the FBI will get your application and do a cursory background check. I wouldn't worry about it too much. A secret clearance is not that big of a deal.

Sorry, Mikekam is correct. Non-US citizens may not apply for even a confidential clearance. I saw a lot of foreigners in the Navy with rates like SK (one of the few rates where no clearance was req'd) or undesignated strikers because they couldn't get a clearance until they were naturalized. Here's the contractor citation from the www.dss.mil website:

2-206. Verification of U.S. Citizenship. The contractor shall require each applicant for a PCL who claims U.S. citizenship to produce evidence of citizenship. A PCL will not be granted until the contractor has certified the applicant's U.S. citizenship.

2-207. Acceptable Proof of Citizenship.

For individuals born in the United States, a birth certificate is the primary and preferred means of citizenship verification. Acceptable certificates must show that the birth record was filed shortly after birth and it must be certified with the registrar's signature. It must bear the raised, impressed, or multicolored seal of the registrar's office. The only exception is if a state or other jurisdiction does not issue such seals as a matter of policy Uncertified copies of birth certificates are not acceptable. A delayed birth certificate is one created when a record was filed more than one year after the date of birth. Such a certificate is acceptable if it shows that the report of birth was supported by acceptable secondary evidence of birth. Secondary evidence may include: baptismal or circumcision certificates, hospital birth records, or affidavits of persons having personal knowledge about the facts of birth. Other documentary evidence can be early census, school, or family bible records, newspaper files, or insurance papers. All documents submitted as evidence of birth in the U.S. shall be original or certified documents.

If the individual claims citizenship by naturalization, a certificate of naturalization is acceptable proof of citizenship.

If citizenship was acquired by birth abroad to a U.S. citizen parent or parents, the following are acceptable evidence:

(1) A Certificate of Citizenship issued by the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS).

(2) A Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America (Form FS-240).

(3) A Certificate of Birth (Form FS-545 or DS-1350).

A passport, current or expired, is acceptable proof of citizenship.

A Record of Military Processing-Armed Forces of the United States (DD Form 1966) is acceptable proof of citizenship, provided it reflects U.S. citizenship.

What you say is true for the military. The DOD will issue a clearance to only a US citizen. However, the OP did not indicate that he was applying for a military clearance. Secret clearances pertain to any information which, if released, would cause harm to national security. This covers a vast area outside of the military. In fact if you were to peruse form SF-86 you would not that it does indeed accomodate non citizens.

To the OP - Go ahead and apply, unless you actually had a drug conviction or served at least a year in jail, you should not have any problems, unless, as noted, you are applying for a clearance with a DOD agency. The important thing to remember is that it is a felony to lie on a clearance application.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">