• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forming LLC -- Use Form 2553?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NewCompany

What is the name of your state? Georgia

I recently formed an LLC in Georgia using Legalzoom.com. When I received the documentation in the mail from them, one of the steps it tells me to do is to file a Form 2553, S Corporation election. And apparently that means I would also have to use Form 8832 to be classified as a corporation.

My question is, is this necessary? I called Legalzoom.com to ask them why an LLC would need to be treated like an S Corporation, and all they said was, "Well, sometimes people do this." They never would explain "why" people sometimes do this.

Can someone help me out here? Should I file a Form 2553? What would be the advantages and disadvantages of doing this?

Thanks! :)

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">