• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Son stabbed, wife beaten

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hattie

Son stabbed, wife beaten, DA not doing job

What is the name of your state? Wi
My son and his wife were in a bar that, as it turns out, has had problems with violence and serving under-age drinkers. A group of four girls and 3 guys were in the bar, the girls were bothering patrons, asking them to buy drinks for them. They went to my daughter-in-law, asked her to get them drinks and give them her cigarettes, she said no. One reached to take her drink while the others continued to bother her for drinks and cigarettes. She told them she bought these things and suggested they all get jobs so they could do the same. It was near closing time, the 7 people left and my son and his wife were about to leave. The bartender told them they should "wait a few minutes" because those people would be waiting outside to jump them. So they waited a few minutes, but as soon as they took one step out the door all 4 girls jumped my DIL, pinned her to the ground and started to beat her. My son started pulling them off her, two of the three guys jumped him and the other one ran away. A girl pulled out a knife, assuming she was going back for his wife he got between her and his wife, she stabbed him. The men were still hitting him, some of the other girls started hitting him, he grabbed the girl with the knife so she couldn't get his wife and got her in a head-lock. So she's stabbing him all over his arms and back and biting him while he's fighting other low-life with one arm. Everyone ran away and the police arrived, but the girl who stabbed him was arrested since he still was holding her.

The hospital had to call in a plastic surgeon, he had over two feet of stitches. He can't use his arm for 2-3 months, she cut through muscle, there is nerve damage and he can't feel part of his arm. That is expected to heal in a few months. His wife is bruised and swollen.

The girl who stabbed him was arrested 2 weeks before and was out on bail, for possession of THC, drug traffiking, child neglect and obstructing an officer. The DA did not file these charges against her until the day after she stabbed my son. She was also arrested Jan. '05 for Disorderly Conduct but no court day has been set yet. One of the men involved has been arrested on a previous warrant but not charged in this incident yet and it turns out he is the brother of someone my son sent to jail a few weeks ago. (he is a loss prevention detective). None of the others have been arrested yet, the girl arrested is 22 and we don't know the ages of the others yet.

They have talked to a few attorneys to sue for medical bills and damages, some said they would only handle a case if the bar's insurance would be liable and that it's not. Others have said the bar is liable and a couple said they want to be the one to handle this case. The people involved are likely not the type to have assets - not traceable assests at least. Would you advise them to go forward with this?

The other thing we'd appreciate advise about is working with the D.A. The crime in their city has gotten extreme but is not publicized, perhaps to avoid tarnishing it's well-known image. I talked to a receptionist in the D.A.'s office because we are not happy with the charges against the girl and want them raised before the preliminary hearing. (substantial battery, assault with a deady weapon and bail jumping, but this will be plea-bargained down to something like jaywalking.) The receptionist said she is sickened by the things she's learned happen in their city since she started working at the D.A.'s office and tried to direct me to someone who could raise the charges. The part-time asst. d.a. handling this case said the charges were made before they had my son's medical records, she had no time to talk to family members but would meet with my son 15 minutes before the trial so the facts would be fresh in her mind and that it's not necessary to talk to any other witnesses.

I talked to the mayor's assist. who said she was happy I called because the mayor is sick of police working hard to get scum off the street and the D.A. putting them right back on it. I asked the D.A. how to get a report of cases they've had over the last five years, charges that were brought, plea-bargains and repeat offenders and was told they knew of no way for me to get that information.

Because of my son's job, because of friends who are police officers and others who work "inside the system" I know of things that happen in that city that never make the news. People die and no one is held accountable. The D.A. said they have to only try what they think they can win and that they "do the best with the resources they have". I asked if they had enough resources, and was told "No, we need more people, we need more bodies in here, more assistance". I said, so you aren't able to do your job properly, you couldn't stop this town from becoming a cesspool and you can't clean it up. The answer was "No, we do our job, we can do it, it just would be easier if we had more people and yet I'm taking the time to talk to you when I shouldn't be". What can I do to make sure they get real justice for my family?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">