• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongful death

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bmacsr

What is the name of your state? Ohio
My daughter had an abdominal wall abscess and had surgery. The anesthesialogist was unaware that she had a lung condition(diffuse pneumonic infiltrate) and had sleep apnea. She developed ARDS and died. Do we have a law suit and who is responsible?
My daughter was 31 years old and residing with us due to a mental condition but we felt she able to make her own decisions. This was an abscess that developed after gastric bypass surgery(12/2004). She signed release forms on 01/13/2005 for surgery on 01/14/2005. The pneumonic infiltrate was found on chest x-rays the morning of 01/14/2005 and a memo was supposedly sent to the surgeon. Neither my wife,myself or my daughter knew of this lung condition.
She was brought back to her room after the surgery approx. 5PM with IV tubes hanging loose and an oxygen tube in her nose but not connected to an oxygen bottle. She was left unattended for almost 3 hours before a floor nurse came into the room. She hooked the IV up but not the oxygen.
The next morning she was found with a fever and oxygen saturation of 57%.
She was taken to ICU was NOT put on a ventillator.
That afternoon she was taken back to surgery for an obstruction at the jejunum. She signed release form under heavy medication and we were never informed of her condition.
After the obstruction surgery she was on a ventillator and was diagnosed with ARDS the next AM,01/15/2005. She died 02/01/205

Last edited:

djohnson

Can you give more details? Was the surgery emergency? Was your daughter a minor? Was her surgeon aware of the condition? Why didn't someone make the anestheiologist aware? Can you prove this is what caused her death? How long ago did the death occur? The surgery occur? Who signed the waiver that is required that states you understand it is dangerous and can cause death?

panzertanker

djohnson said:
Can you give more details? Was the surgery emergency? Was your daughter a minor? Was her surgeon aware of the condition? Why didn't someone make the anestheiologist aware? Can you prove this is what caused her death? How long ago did the death occur? The surgery occur? Who signed the waiver that is required that states you understand it is dangerous and can cause death?
Those questions are just the tip of the iceburg...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">