• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

House Mold in Florida - I need advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Marshall70

confused:

I'm not sure if you can help me, but I will briefly explain my situation.
July 2001 Moved into new home constructed by Atlantic Builders in Jacksonville, Florida
June 2002 (one month prior to new home warranty expiring) - contacted warranty department of Atlantic Builders to notify them of a wet spot on the ceiling in our master bedroom.
June 2002 Atlantic builders dispatch one of their contractors to come out and "fix it"
July 2005 - After being sick for the last two years and having a doctor look at me numerous times, I read an article on line talking about Mold in the home and decide to go up in my attic and check this spot.

I contacted the builder and of course they have no record of sending a contractor out to our house. The only record I can find to this point is a request for service by my wife on the builders warranty form, however I can not find proof of any receipt that the contractor gave us.

The builders inspector came out today to look at this and he admitted that this house was not built to code. There is a leak around the chimney that needs to be sealed. Looking up from the attic you can actually see daylight around the chimney. This daylight is directly above the mold growing in my attic.

My question is this: What should I do now? I can't remember the last time I was this upset about anything. The inspector said he would go back to the office tomorrow and suggest to his boss that they take out that part of the ceiling and the adjoining wall to be sure no more mold is hidden.

I scheduled an allergy test today. My ears have been plugged for two years and it has been miserable. My wife sleeps in the same bed and shows no sign of sickness even though you can now smell the mold in our bedroom. She is also 7 1/2 months pregnant and I am concerned that this could have an effect on the baby although I think it is unlikely (but I'm no expert). My 3 1/2 year old daughter seems to be ok as well, so it's just me who is sick.

Do I need to get my own inspector? will insurance pay for any of this? I'm afraid that the builder is not going to take the cheap way out. I'm afraid it may be in the air ducts, but I don't know. Do I get a mold remediatiion company? Who pays for this? What do I do? HELP!!

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">