• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Witness not being used

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stratus

What is the name of your state? Ohio

I'm currently in the process of divorce after a 2 1/2 yr. marriage. He is entitled to half the equity in my home for the time of the marriage, a good sum of money. We have been separated for 1 1/2 yrs. He has sinced moved in with someone else, it lasted 4 months. This woman called me and told me all the lies he was saying and that he never intended to get back with me during our separation period. Supposedly we were trying to work things out. He is trying to get the equity also for the last year and a half. This woman has alot of information that I believe would help my case in proving that he is a master manipulator, a drunk and uses women as victims. My attorney doesn't want to call her or stand up and fight about anything that has gone on in this marriage or say the things I've done for him. He just wants to split the assets 50/50 and move on. He says all that doesn't matter. I would like to know if this is true and should I get over the fact that I'm going to have to pay this idiot or should I make my attorney fight for me.

LdiJ

stratus said:
What is the name of your state? Ohio

I'm currently in the process of divorce after a 2 1/2 yr. marriage. He is entitled to half the equity in my home for the time of the marriage, a good sum of money. We have been separated for 1 1/2 yrs. He has sinced moved in with someone else, it lasted 4 months. This woman called me and told me all the lies he was saying and that he never intended to get back with me during our separation period. Supposedly we were trying to work things out. He is trying to get the equity also for the last year and a half. This woman has alot of information that I believe would help my case in proving that he is a master manipulator, a drunk and uses women as victims. My attorney doesn't want to call her or stand up and fight about anything that has gone on in this marriage or say the things I've done for him. He just wants to split the assets 50/50 and move on. He says all that doesn't matter. I would like to know if this is true and should I get over the fact that I'm going to have to pay this idiot or should I make my attorney fight for me.
Well...I think that you should make your attorney at least fight for him to only get share of the equity in the home for the time that you were together...rather than also including the time that you have been separated.

However, how much money are we actually talking about? Its possible that the amount you would end up paying the attorney to fight the issue may be more than the amount of equity that you would keep.

You are going to end up having to give him something....the question is how much?....and how much are you going to have to pay your attorney?....particularly if you don't win.

stratus

He would be entitled to roughly 10,000. So is a battle in my best interest or is my attorney right just settle and move on?

LdiJ

stratus said:
He would be entitled to roughly 10,000. So is a battle in my best interest or is my attorney right just settle and move on?
Its probably not in your best interest. You'd probably end up having to give him a minimum of half that amount...and your attorney fees to fight him on the issue might easily end up being just as much as what you would save.

However...are there other property issues? 401k's?...cars?...debts? etc. If you have more assets than just the house...and he isn't going after any of those...then it may be even more in your best interest to settle and move on.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">