• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Colt/horse electrocuted by downed power line(killed) I also got hit by current.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ketchum

Colt/horse electrocuted by downed power line(killed)IS EMC Iiable.

What is the name of your state? Georgia.App.175 feet of power line down in tall grass.5 horses in the pasture.One stepped on 120 volt line and killed. Jackson Emc investigator said ACT Of GOD before he was hardly out of his truck.I had earlier started to roll 2.5 year old colt over looking for cause of death as line was NOT obvious in tall grass.I got shocked as I raised colts leg and started to roll him.(he was acting as a ground to line)EMC offical said ACT OF GOD(lighting) but fuse,breaker not blown.I looked at end of line the aluminum wrap was NOT melted(takes 1500 degrees,nor was the steel core melted(2200 degrees)later the EMC rep muttered it broke at the splice.Pole was set 175 feet deep into the pasture(3 lines)and went from pasture to across the street(paved black top)to a rental home.The EMC offical said lines from the 50s/60s/early 70s but meets code so the act of god)Term is used loosely by EMC.Newer lines are called TRIPLEX same amount of lines(3)2 shielded,1 bare cable with 120 volts but inter weaved so if ONE fails it just dosen't fall! EMC offical said BUT IT MEETS CODE and too many miles of line to update quickly(newest was early 70s?) Line that failed was a 1/2 from the EMC office! I called National weather and they found the street/area etc.and NO recorded lighting strikes or bad weather for a 24 hour period before line failed(didn't go back any further) in that area or road.The home the line went to(old home/rental)with a older gentlemen living there alone(he's a bit slow/off mentaly) he said power went off,noticed his fan and t.v.off after napping(heat woke him up) between 12:00 P.M. and 2:00 P.M.Got a call about colt at 7:30 P.M. EMC rep said well ALL OF THIS could have been prevented if HE had called to report power out.HE(renter)dosen't have a phone and I don't think was to preturbed to find power out.Broken line was NOT in the road but was wrapped in the hedges and fence/partial lying in road drainage ditch.I think someone moved it there thinking like I did it was a bare cable that had fallen off a truck etc.My colt was acting as a ground that is why I or other horses/anyone else wasn't shocked.I want $2500 for my colt(just sold two others month before of same quality for that amount)with bill of sales to prove it etc.Met with EMC rep again at their office(turned out to be SAME person and he's still going on about a ACT Of GOD.Have since met with another rep from MAIN office who is pondering it.Said he dosen't want to set a prescidents.

Last edited:

Ketchum

What kind of LEGAL LIABILITY does the EMC have? Do I have a claim in small claims court? Wouldn't have posted this just to tell a story! Any info on any other DOWNED line cases or liabiltys of EMC"s. ACT OF GOD is a term that all of a sudden I'm sick of hearing! Statement is broadly used by EMC. I'm ready to go to small claims court after EMC rep.saying it broke at a splice and lines last installed of this sort with the latest being the early 70s.If these lines had been the WEAVED sort or attached to one another this would not have happened.

Last edited:

panzertanker

Ketchum said:
What kind of LEGAL LIABILITY does the EMC have? Do I have a claim in small claims court? Wouldn't have posted this just to tell a story! Any info on any other DOWNED line cases or liabiltys of EMC"s. ACT OF GOD is a term that all of a sudden I'm sick of hearing! Statement is broadly used by EMC. I'm ready to go to small claims court after EMC rep.saying it broke at a splice and lines last installed of this sort with the latest being the early 70s.If these lines had been the WEAVED sort or attached to one another this would not have happened.
Do you know the code for Jackson/Clarke county?
Did those lines meet that code?
Did you take pictures/proof of the line?

Ketchum

I did take photo's.No I don't know the code.EMC offical kept saying it met code and it was a act of god.Since I have found out the BARE cable(the one that had voltage and fell)is suppose to be the GROUND and the two shielded are hot.I guess I need to call ??? about code.

Ketchum

Well I'm figuring this out myself.CODE is the CODE for what ever year lines installed.If it was in the 1930s it has to meet the standard of THEN.Not NOW.The EMC's for the MOST part are less concerned about SAFTEY then say GEORGIA POWER.Georga Power says they are not CONCERNED about ancient codes.If they are called out do ANY work on old lines and lines are OLD style THEY(Ga.Power)do a automatic up date to prevent deaths/injurys/lawsuites.) Most EMCs(Jackson EMC included(whom I'm dealing with) DO NOT! You get what you pay for.Ga.Power DOES for the most part have HIGHER rates. Jackson EMC did call yesterday(A FIRST)to say they were talking to THEIR claims adjuster and would be in touch today.I'm wanting $2500 for my colt,the lines in that pasture updated and the ones at MY home(external in pastures etc.checked and UPDATED.I have ONE pole that the top of it is full of wasps and wood pecker holes.(where lines are bolted through).If these lines had been UPDATED at some time(since 1970s)this would NOT have happened.They(EMC)are lucky a PERSON or persons(me and a few others)were not killed or one or more of the 5 other colts in this field.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">