• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please Explain

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Verjagon

undefinedWhat is the name of your state? Texas. I closed on my home in February 05 and my boyfriend moved in with me. We engaged but we have never represented ourselves as married to anyone, even coworkers. We are strictly engaged. We had an argument and he stated that after 6 months we are common law married and he wants half of my house if we break up. He has some of his mail coming here and he pays most utilities. He gave me $1500 to put in my account when I closed so I could have proof of other monies in the bank. This money was not used to close with. And I was already in the process of buying my house when we met. His name is not on ANYTHING. It has not been 6 months yet and he is being deployed the day after the 6th month. What rights do I have?

JETX

Verjagon said:
What rights do I have?
More importantly, what rights does HE have??
And the answer is NONE.

If he can show a court that you are in fact married (Texas does allow 'informal marriages'), then he MIGHT be entitled to 1/2 of the equity increase from the date of marriage to the date of divorce.... but that is a HUGE 'might'.

For more on Texas informal marriages, go to: http://jerrymelton.com/provingcommonlawmarriage.htm

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">