• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

County wants me to "donate"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

okgrace001

What is the name of your state? Arkansas

I own approx 5.75 acres, the back of property is linked to state property (freeway).
The County wants to extend an access road, they will take approx 1 acre, I will lose my privacy and be "wide open" to the freeway (I am in a wooded area)
The County Judge wants me to "donate", I want a reasonable amount, what I am paying taxes on for that portion, he claims if I do not he will take me to court and I will get "nothing".
I know he can "take" it, does he HAVE to pay me a reasonable amount? I do not want to fight over this however I paid for it and feel the county should also.
I have found surveyors on my property, no permission from me, no paperwork from the county, is this legal?
BTW The Judge sold his very small piece to the state .07 acres for $24,600.
He claims that is "different".
He also claims the State owns part of my Property which separates the State property, the State put the fence up over 20 years ago.
Sorry so long!
TIA!

JETX

okgrace001 said:
What is the name of your state? Arkansas

I own approx 5.75 acres, the back of property is linked to state property (freeway).
The County wants to extend an access road, they will take approx 1 acre, I will lose my privacy and be "wide open" to the freeway (I am in a wooded area)
The County Judge wants me to "donate", I want a reasonable amount, what I am paying taxes on for that portion, he claims if I do not he will take me to court and I will get "nothing".
I know he can "take" it, does he HAVE to pay me a reasonable amount? I do not want to fight over this however I paid for it and feel the county should also.
I have found surveyors on my property, no permission from me, no paperwork from the county, is this legal?
BTW The Judge sold his very small piece to the state .07 acres for $24,600.
He claims that is "different".
He also claims the State owns part of my Property which separates the State property, the State put the fence up over 20 years ago.
Sorry so long!
TIA!
Tell that Arkansas 'judge' to kiss your Razorback ass!!
What he is threatening to do is called 'exercise their right to eminent domain' and they cannot take your property without paying you fair market price. The problem typically arises in determining what that price is.
Tell this judge to talk to AG Beebe.... who has said he is NOT for abuse of eminent domain in Arkansas.
http://www.arkansasnews.com/archive/2005/07/20/DavidJSanders/324661.html

You might also consider talking to one of the attorneys in your county at: https://attorneypages.com/public/countycity.php?TID=580&LID=state&SID=3&Submit=Search

okgrace001

I am learning bit by bit.
I am no longer speaking with him, should he need to get any messages I expect them in writing.
This actually scares the heck out of me, I would love to up and move and not deal with this however I purchased this to hold on to because I felt it would be worth a bit more down the road.
Thanks for your help, I was beginning to think he could do it as he has threatened several property owners in our area.

okgrace001

Not quite understanding you, assuming you are making a funny?
I am still researching my options, would love to get some more advice.
Walked the line and looked at the markers the surveyors put up (w/o my permission) and looks as if they are going to take more than they intitially asked for.
My next step is asking for the survey since I believe it falls under public record.

JETX

okgrace001 said:
My next step is asking for the survey since I believe it falls under public record.
Your next step should be to a real estate attorney. Who the hell cares what the survey says if you don't want them to steal any of your property??

okgrace001

JETX said:
Your next step should be to a real estate attorney. Who the hell cares what the survey says if you don't want them to steal any of your property??

Well eventually I may have to get an attorney, right now I am getting all my ducks in a row.
If he does not give me FMV, I will get an attorney. Thanks!

Warped

I'm not a lawyer!

I've been reading this site for about a year now and I can tell you that JETX wouldn't imply that you should move quickly on retaining a real estate attorney without good cause. The man knows the law backwards and forewards.

I think you should follow JETX's advice ASAP or you may wind up railroaded out of your property before you can find and retain an attorney and react.

JETX

Warped said:
I'm not a lawyer!

I've been reading this site for about a year now and I can tell you that JETX wouldn't imply that you should move quickly on retaining a real estate attorney without good cause. The man knows the law backwards and forewards.

I think you should follow JETX's advice ASAP or you may wind up railroaded out of your property before you can find and retain an attorney and react.
Thank you for your gracious comments. :D

okgrace001

JETX said:
Thank you for your gracious comments. :D

Thank you JETX. I am now looking for an attorney, I have read so much that my head may explode.
Time to give it to the professionals.
Thanks agian for your help!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">