• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HOA Non-Enforcement of Regulations

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GRPERKINS

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Virginia

Our HOA regulations state that grass cannot be taller than 4 inches. After a neighbor has not mowed in 3 weeks, we call the HOA, they send a letter, and a few days later the lawn is mowed. This repeats every 3 weeks, month after month...year after year.
Three of my neighbors have moved out, saying that the neighborhood does not look decent any more. I am sure that my property value has decreased due to the appearance of the lawns. I walked around today and took pictures of lawns with weeds over 3 feet tall (yes...3 feet).
When we purchased our home, our real estate agent went to great lengths to point out to us that the HOA was a good thing, in that it requires that the neighborhood be maintained.

We have complained repeatedly to our HOA.
What can we do ? I would appreciate any advice.

HomeGuru

GRPERKINS said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Virginia

Our HOA regulations state that grass cannot be taller than 4 inches. After a neighbor has not mowed in 3 weeks, we call the HOA, they send a letter, and a few days later the lawn is mowed. This repeats every 3 weeks, month after month...year after year.
Three of my neighbors have moved out, saying that the neighborhood does not look decent any more. I am sure that my property value has decreased due to the appearance of the lawns. I walked around today and took pictures of lawns with weeds over 3 feet tall (yes...3 feet).
When we purchased our home, our real estate agent went to great lengths to point out to us that the HOA was a good thing, in that it requires that the neighborhood be maintained.

We have complained repeatedly to our HOA.
What can we do ? I would appreciate any advice.
**A: send certifed rrr letters to the HOA. Attend all meetings. Run for office and get on the board. Have the board hire an attorney to review the CC&R's and provide a legal opinion of what to do with repeat violators ie. levy fines, kick their butts etc. You be more proactive since the HOA is being lazy and reactive.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">