• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

deed question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

maryland44

What is the name of your state? Marland. My husband signed a deed with his father for the house we live in 15 years ago. My husband and I now have both of our names on the mortgage. My father-in-law will not agree to have his name removed (and my name added) to the deed. If my father-in-law were to die someday would my mother in law be automatically added to the deed (to the house my husband and father-in-law own) because of their marriage?

HomeGuru

maryland44 said:
What is the name of your state? Marland. My husband signed a deed with his father for the house we live in 15 years ago. My husband and I now have both of our names on the mortgage. My father-in-law will not agree to have his name removed (and my name added) to the deed. If my father-in-law were to die someday would my mother in law be automatically added to the deed (to the house my husband and father-in-law own) because of their marriage?

**A: we need to know the type of tenancy ie. joint tenancy vs. tenants in common. Look at the deed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">