• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

new business using my business name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sallye

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?Massachusetts I Have been in the grooming business for the past 15 years under the name of Paws-n-Claws I did not register the name back then because there was already a paws n claws in New Bedford ( about 45 miles away) And also other ones in different states so I figured I couldnt because there were already some under that name. Now I have gone mobile and I just recently found out that there is another mobile groomer with my same name just written out as paws & Claws and mine has always been Paws-n-claws, and now I see she is registered as a limited liability company and has told people she is going to take me to court for using her business name. I have been mobile for the past 4 years and she has been in business for about 2 1/2 to 3 years. What? If any, rights do I have?

dingleberry

hope it helps

im not to keen when it comes to laws in the state of mass. however here in florida as long as you register the name and it is spelled differently, you should be fine which is it. now how it will affect you for not having the name registered for the previous 4 years I dont know but you may at least want to register it. legally she can not take you to court for having similar names. and as for same exact name in other states, that wont affect you at all unless it is copyrighted like something like Target or WalMart. once you do, the individual you register it with and pay the fee to (if you dont do it yourself that is) should be able to let you know if there will be any problems legally. you may want to locate a website for businesses that pertain to your state or research a book thats called how to start a business in MA by Mark Warda. his books come in very handy for me since i do all my legal paperwork for my business and it covers a lot of questions that you may have. good luck hope this sort of helps...again this is just my opinion I am learning just like you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">