• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Quitclaim to avoid title change?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rumenapp

What is the name of your state? California.

Hi, I have a question regarding a property that is currently under a Children's trust as a result of the death of both my parents. This is a rental property that is now titled under a Children's trust but under the terms of the original living trust belongs to 3 surviving children. It has been this way for 10 years. Now, one of the children wants to buy out the other two. If the 2 children quitclaim the property over to the 3rd child, and she in turn pays them in cash, can she avoid a title change, and therefore a re-assessment. Also, will the 2 remaining children be responsible for capital gains taxes on their portions of the property?
The property is worth $1 million and is owned in thirds.
At the time the property was transferred to the children's trust, my father was entitled to a $600,000 lifetime exemption, so we are really only talking about capital gains for the 2 children on 2/3rds of $400,000 instead of the entire $1 million. Thanks for any ideas. Hal

Last edited:

HomeGuru

rumenapp said:
What is the name of your state? California.

Hi, I have a question regarding a property that is currently under a Children's trust as a result of the death of both my parents. This is a rental property that is now titled under a Children's trust but under the terms of the original living trust belongs to 3 surviving children. It has been this way for 10 years. Now, one of the children wants to buy out the other two. If the 2 children quitclaim the property over to the 3rd child, and she in turn pays them in cash, can she avoid a title change, and therefore a re-assessment. Also, will the 2 remaining children be responsible for capital gains taxes on their portions of the property?
The property is worth $1 million and is owned in thirds.
At the time the property was transferred to the children's trust, my father was entitled to a $600,000 lifetime exemption, so we are really only talking about capital gains for the 2 children on 2/3rds of $400,000 instead of the entire $1 million. Thanks for any ideas. Hal
**A: the answer is no since legally the children have no title interest in the property, the trust does.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">