• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I'm being harrassed to leave my home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stupidmoron

What is the name of your state? New York

I purchased a single family home with my mom and dad. In fact I put down the down payment and have made monthly contributions to the mortgage and other bills and expenses. The house is now completely paid for and my father has decided he wants me (and my mom but that's another story) to leave. He keeps telling me I should look for a new place to live, he asks if I am looking for a new place or if I have found a new place. I feel I have every right to live here. My name is on the mortgage as a co-owner. I have paid and continue to pay my share. I am currently on disability due to mental illness (depression, anxiety disorders) and he is making my problems worse. I am afraid that one day I'm going to really lose it and I'm going to hurt him. My fears are shared by my mom and my last therapist so other people also believe I am capable of hurting him. He also tries to intimidate me into leaving, he is always asking questions about when I am leaving, he calls me names and belittles me because I am still here and he refuses to make repairs or improvements on the house. I don't know what my rights are. I want to stay here without being harrassed. I do want to move but first I want to fix the house up, sell it and then I want my fair share of the profit. My father wants me to leave so HE can fix it up, sell and keep the profit all to himself.

Warped

I'm not a lawyer!

You said that you are listed on the mortgage as a co-owner but, are you also on the title to the home? If not, you're probably SOL but I'll leave that up to the attorneys here.

JETX

stupidmoron said:
I put down the down payment and have made monthly contributions to the mortgage and other bills and expenses.
Those issues are not relevant to the issue you seem to have overlooked.... Who's name(s) is/are on the TITLE to the property??

My name is on the mortgage as a co-owner.
Wrong!!
The mortgage has nothing to do with OWNERSHIP. Only the title declares the legal and rightful OWNER(s).

So, before anyone can even start to help (if possible), we have to know who OWNS the property and, if more than one name, EXACTLY how the names are shown.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">