• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

buying out sibling, proper documentation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

benjluc

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California

My brother wants me to buy him out of his interest in a home I am living in (both he and I are on title as is another sibling), I am currently in the process of refinancing the home to give him what he is asking (I paid off the home in 90's). The mortgage company is working with the title company to get out the proper documentation for him to sign off title when he gets his $$. What do I need to do to ensure that all the documentation is in order? (I want to be certain that once he signs and gets his $$, he and his family have no legal ties to the house). Also, the other sibling wants to retain interest in the house and will sign as a non-obligator with regards to the loan. What if she decides, at the last minute, not to sign anything?

Thanks.

Warped

I'm not a lawyer!

I went through something similar when I bought out my brother's share of a property that we inherited jointly this past March. I hired a local real estate attorney and he handled all of the necessary paperwork including filing the new title. The lawyer charged me just shy of $500. I suggest you do the same, it's worth the $500 or so to save you the hassle of dealing with the paperwork blizzard associated with real estate deals alone. :D

HomeGuru

benjluc said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California

My brother wants me to buy him out of his interest in a home I am living in (both he and I are on title as is another sibling), I am currently in the process of refinancing the home to give him what he is asking (I paid off the home in 90's). The mortgage company is working with the title company to get out the proper documentation for him to sign off title when he gets his $$. What do I need to do to ensure that all the documentation is in order? (I want to be certain that once he signs and gets his $$, he and his family have no legal ties to the house). Also, the other sibling wants to retain interest in the house and will sign as a non-obligator with regards to the loan. What if she decides, at the last minute, not to sign anything?

Thanks.
**A: that's what real estate attorneys are for.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">