• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do both owners have to sign rental agreement with new tenant?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lostidealist

What is the name of your state? California

My friend has already signed a rental agreement for a new tenant but my friend and his brother own the house together. Do signatures from both owners have to be on the rental agreement?

My friend of course didn't get the signature of his brother as he is just sort of managing it on his own. He's making some silly decisions and so I think he'd be better of selling the place after doing some renovations. If he can get out of the lease somehow (though he might get sued in small claims court), it would work out for the best.

Thanks!

HomeGuru

lostidealist said:
What is the name of your state? California

My friend has already signed a rental agreement for a new tenant but my friend and his brother own the house together. Do signatures from both owners have to be on the rental agreement?

**A: no, signature from one owner is sufficient to bind the contract.

My friend of course didn't get the signature of his brother as he is just sort of managing it on his own. He's making some silly decisions and so I think he'd be better of selling the place after doing some renovations. If he can get out of the lease somehow (though he might get sued in small claims court), it would work out for the best.

Thanks!
**A: the lease is enforceable so he may have to buy-out the tenant.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">