• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Disabled friend afraid to admit suicidal thoughts to Dr.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

drago

California.
I have a disabled friend who won't tell her doctor she has thoughts about suicide because she thinks she'll be locked up. She asked if I knew anything about that being true and I had to admit I don't but thought someone here might be able to guide me.

Does she risk detention if she admits it?
I didn't know about this. I asked if any attempts or planning had taken place; she said no. I believe her.

seniorjudge

Okay, your choice is keep your mouth shut and let your friend kill herself or tell the doctor and maybe get your friend locked up and alive.

Your choice...make a good one.

drago

My plan for making a good choice is to learn what I can before I advise her.

I want to make her comfortable about telling her Dr. but lying is out of the question unless there is an immediate danger (doubtful). I really believe she just wants help. She has just applied for a part time job and has been checking with the local community college for classes she might like to take.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Is there a CHANCE that her doctor will commit her if she admits to thinking about suicide? Sure, there's a CHANCE.

Will her doctor DEFINITELY have her committed if she admits to thinking of suicide? Of course not. Unless he has a very real reason to believe that she is in imminent danger, that's not going to happen.

drago

Thank you cbg. You are absolutely correct. I told her if she didn't tell him that I would. She did and her treatment has been altered. She'll be fine.

Thanks again and thank you also seniorjudge. You were both a big help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">