• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Protecting our home from Civil lawsuits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

evansma93

What is the name of your state? Illinois

My husband is a police officer in the state of Illinois. We also own a home and would like to know if there is anything we can do to protect our home and assets in the event that a civil lawsuit was filed against my husband. We have seen many officers sued due to events that have happened during their employment as a police officer. Is there anything we can do to prevent these potential losses that can occur if he were to be sued civily? Thank you.

Last edited:

Warped

I'm not a lawyer!

When I bought my homeowner's insurance, I asked them to explain liability insurance to me thoroughly. They said that, in a nutshell, homeowner's liability covers you in case someone is injured on your property (of course) but, it also covers you should you, for example, lean against a shelf in a department store and accidently knock it over resulting in injury to another individual. I don't know if that would apply to a police officer's line of work or not.

I do recommend that you anonymously call an insurer, because simple inquiries count against you on CLUE (I think that's the name of it) reports, and ask if homeowner's insurance would cover you in such a situation. Good luck! :D

HomeGuru

evansma93 said:

My husband is a police officer in the state of Illinois. We also own a home and would like to know if there is anything we can do to protect our home and assets in the event that a civil lawsuit was filed against my husband. We have seen many officers sued due to events that have happened during their employment as a police officer. Is there anything we can do to prevent these potential losses that can occur if he were to be sued civily? Thank you.

**A: good question. Consutl with a trust/estate attorney.

HomeGuru

evansma93 said:

**A: good question. Consult with a trust/estate attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">