• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pitbull Bite

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

midniter

What is the name of your state?NORTH CAROLINA!Yes i got neighbor that rasies & fights pitbull dogs,i had some troulble out of his dogs before hes been ticketed by animal control severl times,but last Friday i hard a big bang at front door and one of his pitbulls was crashing into my frint screen breaking the latches,WHICH IT CAME ON IN AND I HAD KIDS IN HERE PLUS A SLEEP OVER ALL I COULD DO WAS THINK ABOUT GETTING THEM SAFE!.It then came back at me lunged at me knock me over a chair and bit my arms strattle and chest.The animal control came out took report and assured me that the dog would be took into custoday for 9 days and he would be put down because of his vicious nature,but to my suprise i see the dog in my neighbors yard yesterday.I go to see county officer and all they could tell me was that he was on leave for 5 days.I had a dog that could have killed my kids me and who knows what else and it's free again,i got Dr bills doors to replace and maybe even operation on my hand and not one has came over and said they were sorry and they would pay for damages or nothing,so if anyone knows the law on a dog just going crazy like that into your house please let me know THX!!!

midniter

Pitbull Bites

Yes it's hard to beleive no one here has every had a dog attack similiar to what i went through!I live in north carolina but does our laws differ that much?I mean you don't provoke the dog he see's himself in my door window or was aggarvated because he was running with another bitch dog that looked in heat,but isn't there anything i can do legally in this matter or do i have't to take the losss all on my own?

midniter

Dog Attack

I've read alot different threads here on dog bites and seems to me the dog is in the right most of the time lol,but from what happen to me do you think i have a legal leg to stand on if this goes to court!I mean i might have upwards of $15,000 to $20,000 just in dr bills & surgeries!,it's not like i ask the dog to come over for a sleep over,the rascal acted like it was mad or something.

North Carolina Dog bite Laws

http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/stusncst67_4.htm
I found this site online that may be helpful to you as several laws appear to have been broken.
§ 67-4. Failing to kill mad dog.
If the owner of any dog shall know, or have good reason to believe, that his dog, or any dog belonging to any person under his control, has been bitten by a mad dog, and shall neglect or refuse immediately to kill the same, he shall forfeit and pay the sum of fifty dollars ($50.00) to him who will sue therefor; and the offender shall be liable to pay all damages which may be sustained by anyone, in his property or person, by the bite of any such dog, and shall be guilty of a Class 3 misdemeanor.

§ 67-4.1. Definitions and procedures.

1) "Dangerous dog" means

a. A dog that:

1. Without provocation has killed or inflicted severe injury on a person; or

2. Is determined by the person or Board designated by the county or municipal authority responsible for animal control to be potentially dangerous because the dog has engaged in one or more of the behaviors listed in subdivision (2) of this subsection.

b. Any dog owned or harbored primarily or in part for the purpose of dog fighting, or any dog trained for dog fighting.

§ 67-4.2. Precautions against attacks by dangerous dogs
(a) It is unlawful for an owner to:
(1) Leave a dangerous dog unattended on the owner's real property unless the dog is confined indoors, in a securely enclosed and locked pen, or in another structure designed to restrain the dog;
(2) Permit a dangerous dog to go beyond the owner's real property unless the dog is leashed and muzzled or is otherwise securely restrained and muzzled.

§ 67-4.3. Penalty for attacks by dangerous dogs
The owner of a dangerous dog that attacks a person and causes physical injuries requiring medical treatment in excess of one hundred dollars ($100.00) shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

§ 67-4.4. Strict liability
The owner of a dangerous dog shall be strictly liable in civil damages for any injuries or property damage the dog inflicts upon a person, his property, or another animal.

I am not a lawyer though and I am only providing the info that I found online at that site and bolded info I felt was important for you.

midniter

Dog Bite

I want to thank you for that piece of advice buddy,i looked alot places talk to a friend of mind that's a attorney but he's criminal court only.But he told me he was almost 100 % positive that even tho the man lives with his parents which he's 21 still staying home so that tell you he's not much of a man,but they rasise the dogs to sale and she feeds them and takes care of them,so i think there all responsable for what the dogs do,I knew the lady dog Dixie bite a little girl about 2 years ago but the family kept it pretty quiet and they paid it under the table you might say!

midniter

I not sure anyone of have ever been through this but just imagain a pillbull trying to get to your kids in a house mayve trying to killl them and all the office can say samm l claims court,or your lucky,i.m not going down without a fight on thid one.Matter fact i just got a e-mail from news 2 wants to know and maybe this will shed some light on these idiots!!!!!!!!

midniter

stuckinlamad said:
http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/stusncst67_4.htm
I found this site online that may be helpful to you as several laws appear to have been broken.
§ 67-4. Failing to kill mad dog.
If the owner of any dog shall know, or have good reason to believe, that his dog, or any dog belonging to any person under his control, has been bitten by a mad dog, and shall neglect or refuse immediately to kill the same, he shall forfeit and pay the sum of fifty dollars ($50.00) to him who will sue therefor; and the offender shall be liable to pay all damages which may be sustained by anyone, in his property or person, by the bite of any such dog, and shall be guilty of a Class 3 misdemeanor.

§ 67-4.1. Definitions and procedures.

1) "Dangerous dog" means

a. A dog that:

1. Without provocation has killed or inflicted severe injury on a person; or

2. Is determined by the person or Board designated by the county or municipal authority responsible for animal control to be potentially dangerous because the dog has engaged in one or more of the behaviors listed in subdivision (2) of this subsection.

b. Any dog owned or harbored primarily or in part for the purpose of dog fighting, or any dog trained for dog fighting.

§ 67-4.2. Precautions against attacks by dangerous dogs
(a) It is unlawful for an owner to:
(1) Leave a dangerous dog unattended on the owner's real property unless the dog is confined indoors, in a securely enclosed and locked pen, or in another structure designed to restrain the dog;
(2) Permit a dangerous dog to go beyond the owner's real property unless the dog is leashed and muzzled or is otherwise securely restrained and muzzled.

§ 67-4.3. Penalty for attacks by dangerous dogs
The owner of a dangerous dog that attacks a person and causes physical injuries requiring medical treatment in excess of one hundred dollars ($100.00) shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

§ 67-4.4. Strict liability
The owner of a dangerous dog shall be strictly liable in civil damages for any injuries or property damage the dog inflicts upon a person, his property, or another animal.

I am not a lawyer though and I am only providing the info that I found online at that site and bolded info I felt was important for you.[/QUOTE (THAT'S )alot staues liability!But done alot digging on my own i cant't use my thumb very well on typing so bare with me but DR said Friday that he was 95 to 98 % sure i was gonna have't to have surgery on this hand so my question is if my bills and disabilty from my hand runs over small claims court penalty,then if i sue them both will there homeowvers have't to be responsible for all my medical bills and disability?Man this could really run into alot money when all said and done!

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">