• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Home Question: Texas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NTJD

What is the name of your state? Texas

I recently sold my home. The buyers discovered water damage inside a wall as a result of a leaking shower. They are wanting me to go to mediation over this and share in the cost of the repair. Here are the details:

1. I bought the home in 1999 and my inspector suspected that the shower had a leak in the past or was possibly leaking at this time. He ran the shower for about 20 minutes and discovered no leaks. He also covered the drain and filled the shower pan with water and let it sit, and again discovered no leaks, so he passed the inspection.

2. Later the shower began to leak, as we noticed the carpet just outside the shower was damp. We stopped using the shower at that time.

3. I then recaulked the shower and the leak stopped.

4. We disclosed the leak and the date that we recaulked the shower on our Seller's Disclosure.

5. The buyers had the house inspected and nothing was detected.

6. About two months later the buyers/new owners went to replace the wall paper in the bathroom and discovered some water damage in the wall.

Are we responsible in any way for the cost of repairs?

seniorjudge

They are wanting me to go to mediation over this and share in the cost of the repair.

Are you saying that the buyers already told you what the outcome of the mediation would be?

NTJD

seniorjudge said:
They are wanting me to go to mediation over this and share in the cost of the repair.

Are you saying that the buyers already told you what the outcome of the mediation would be?
No. They are requesting that I go through mediation to resolve who is responsible for the repair.

seniorjudge

For you to be liable, you have to know that something is wrong at the time you sold the place. I don't see how they could possibly prove that.

If it were me, I would tell them to bite big rocks with little teeth.

NTJD

Who would be liable in a situation such as this? Could the home inspector be held liable?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">