• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Removing deceased person's name from real estate documents

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ted in CT

What is the name of your state? Connecticut
In preparation for selling a house, I need to remove the name of my deceased relative, who is present on the deed, mortgage & title. I have access to death certificates and can readily show relationship. How do I go about doing this and are there other public documents I should seek out and change ? Thanks

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Ted in CT said:
What is the name of your state? Connecticut
In preparation for selling a house, I need to remove the name of my deceased relative, who is present on the deed, mortgage & title. I have access to death certificates and can readily show relationship. How do I go about doing this and are there other public documents I should seek out and change ? Thanks

My response:

Obviously, no one thought to Probate this dead relative's Estate. Without that, and a court order, you're stuck. Besides, the money from the house isn't all yours. Some of it belongs to the relative's family - - and you're going to wind up sharing that money.

IAAL

seniorjudge

Whose names were on the deed BEFORE the death, and I mean EXACTLY how was it stated (not using real names, of course).

This will make a difference: if it were in joint tenancy or as tenants by the entirety or as tenants in common or something else.

Anyway, answer the question, please.

Ted in CT

seniorjudge said:
Whose names were on the deed BEFORE the death, and I mean EXACTLY how was it stated (not using real names, of course).

This will make a difference: if it were in joint tenancy or as tenants by the entirety or as tenants in common or something else.

Both names, don't have the docs in front of me
No tenancy of any kind stated, IIRC. I believe there is language concerning survivorship somewhere, but which document would likely contain that ?

Last edited:

seniorjudge

seniorjudge said:

Ted, please tell me which part of this post that you do not understand.

Ted in CT

Senior judge , thank you for your rapid resonses
It looks like I should have the docs in front of me before I continue this exchange.

seniorjudge

Ted in CT said:
Senior judge , thank you for your rapid resonses
It looks like I should have the docs in front of me before I continue this exchange.
You have grown smarter since the beginning of this exchange.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">