• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mortgage question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

joepar2567

I plan on "investing" in a house my daughter is going to buy in Colorado by providing a 20% downpayment for her loan. This would be $30,000 or more.
We have agreed that I will share in the equity when the house is sold or refinanced. I am not concerned with her "handshake" part of the deal.
I am interested in finding out how I can protect my "investment" from outside creditors, lawsuit's etc..

seniorjudge

I am not concerned with her "handshake" part of the deal.

That is your first mistake; get everything in writing and treat her as if she were a total stranger.

I am interested in finding out how I can protect my "investment" from outside creditors, lawsuit's etc..

Pay your bills and gets lots of liability insurance.

joepar2567

Is there a legal way I can maintain rights to my money in her house? For eaxmple, loan her the money with no payments due until the house is sold, etc.?

seniorjudge

Q: Is there a legal way I can maintain rights to my money in her house? For eaxmple, loan her the money with no payments due until the house is sold, etc.?

A: Put a mortgage (in CO they uses deeds of trust) on the land. I.e., you are the lender and she is the borrower.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">