• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Short Term Disability - Pregnancy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ARomei

What is the name of your state? MA

My husband and I are thinking about starting a family, however my current employer does not pay and/or have short-term disability coverage. If I was to get pregnant and take time off after the baby arrived, it would be an unpaid leave. My former employer categorized having a baby as short-term disability and I would have been covered for up to 8 weeks under their Short-term disability Insurance plan.

Can I purchase a short-term disability insurance contract/policy before I am with child so I would be covered until I return to work?

seniorjudge

Q: Can I purchase a short-term disability insurance contract/policy before I am with child so I would be covered until I return to work?

A: Ask an insurance agent; if such a critter is available, I will bet it is very expensive since pregnancy is not a "disability" in any sense of the word.

somarco

More specifically, ask a MA agent as coverage is state specific. You might also check with the MA DOL. Some states (such as NY & CA) have mandatory TDI provided by employers. MA has a lot of give away stuff in the health care field.

For the most part, STD is a group or payroll deduction product. If your employer does not offer such a plan, ask if they will offer one.

Of course you can also start saving your money. Eight weeks without pay is only the beginning of your financial responsibility for a child.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">