• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor Claiming Ownership

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sushiguy

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? WASHINGTON

I purchased two lots. I recieved title clearance and deed recorded.

Neighbor next door claims he owns one of the lots.

He claims he got the lot when he bought his house one year ago.

I see in the county records where he owns his lot.

The lot in question is not listed with him as the owner.

He claims the guy I bought it from (SMITH) gave it to one of his friends (JONES) years ago. So when my neighbor bought his house from JONES, the lot was thrown in the deal.

The person I bought my lot from (SMITH) has been paying the taxes on it for years and years.,

So, if the neighbor produces a quit claim deed or ??? but NEVER recorded it, does he own the lot I just think I bought?

If he doesn't have any documents, can he be the owner claiming oral agreements?

How long can one sit on a quit claim deed or ??? before it MUST be filed?

Thanks

HomeGuru

sushiguy said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? WASHINGTON

I purchased two lots. I recieved title clearance and deed recorded.

**A: if there are 2 lots, then there should be 2 deeds.
Neighbor next door claims he owns one of the lots.

He claims he got the lot when he bought his house one year ago.

I see in the county records where he owns his lot.

The lot in question is not listed with him as the owner.

He claims the guy I bought it from (SMITH) gave it to one of his friends (JONES) years ago. So when my neighbor bought his house from JONES, the lot was thrown in the deal.

The person I bought my lot from (SMITH) has been paying the taxes on it for years and years.,

So, if the neighbor produces a quit claim deed or ??? but NEVER recorded it, does he own the lot I just think I bought?

**A: good grief. Order a title report and READ it.

If he doesn't have any documents, can he be the owner claiming oral agreements?

**A: oral agreements are not enforceable for the sale of real estate.

How long can one sit on a quit claim deed or ??? before it MUST be filed?

**A: forever and a day. There is no law that requires a deed to be filed.

Thanks
**A: it's a mess.

HomeGuru

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:

Homie, perhaps you might also want to discuss the concept of "first in time, first in priority" with our writer.

IAAL
**A: good idea although he may find out about it when his attorney reviews the title search and finds that the property owner deeded the lot to another party that paid more $$$$.

sushiguy

More from sushiguy

I have prelim title and title that shows the boundaries exactly as what the county says they are.

My ques is what happens when the neighbor shows up with a quick claim deed that he NEVER filed that shows he was either given the lot or bought the lot ealrier.

I should also point out that the lot is part of a bigger lot and is NOT subdivided in county records.

How can the neighbor show up saying he owns that section when it is not even been subdivided?

If he shows up with a quit claim deed saying he owns a portion of the parcel, am I screwed?

Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">