• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

deed question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

istra111

What is the name of your state? California

What is the name of your state? California

Married for 9.5 years. 2 children. In May 2003 husband was transfered to CA from NY. I had to stay in NY for a year while he was in CA. In May 2003 my husband came to me and asked to sign intersposal transfer deed, so he would be able to buy a house for us.

In 2004 I moved to CA and somebody explained to me that I gave all rights to the house to my husband by signing that deed. I asked him to add my name on the deed he refused. He also doesn't allow me to pay for the house and put the house in revocable trust with his name on the trust only.

Questions:
1) Can I reverse interspousal transfer? I didnot understand consequences of interpousal transfer and it is not how he presented it to me.

2) Will CA common property laws apply? I was in NY in the moving process, but not present in CA when he bought the house and transfer deed was signed? Since than living in CA for 2 years. :confused:

3) What can I get in a case of my my husband's death, if I can't reverse the deed? Will I become homelsess?

Thank you so very much for your time and help.

seniorjudge

Q: Can I reverse interspousal transfer? I didnot understand consequences of interpousal transfer and it is not how he presented it to me.

A: What you "understood" is totally irrelevant since there is a written document (the deed) that says that you did understand.

Q: What can I get in a case of my my husband's death, if I can't reverse the deed? Will I become homelsess?

A: If your husband dies, you will get what was jointly owned or what is given to you in the will. If he does not leave a will (or if you think your share in the will is too small), then you will get what you are allowed under the intestacy succession laws.

http://www.finance.cch.com/pops/c50s10d190_CA.asp

In May 2003 my husband came to me and asked to sign intersposal transfer deed, so he would be able to buy a house for us.

Sounds like y'all have very serious problems. Contact an attorney to find out your rights.

istra111

deed, one more question, please

California

Thank you very much for your answer. My hysband made a revocable trust to his name and left everything to his childern in the trust including house in which we live (becuase I signed intersposal transfer deed). In a case of his death, can I claim some support from the trust? My husband says that nobody can challenge the trust and I will not get anything after his death as per his trust.

Is it true that in such case I become homeless and can't challenge the trust?

Thank you again so much.

P.S. as far as understanding the deed, I am not from this country and yes, I didnot understand a word in it. I asked my husband to explain it to me and he did. his explanation was a lie, not what it is. I didnot intend to give him a gift.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">