• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Life Estate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

btyko

What is the name of your state? Florida

I posted this in the condo section, but perhaps it would be better in this section:

My mother is 80 years old. Several years ago, she filed a quit-claim deed to retitle her condo as a life estate, with my brother and myself as the beneficiaries.

She now wants to sell the condo. The title company says that it needs my brother and me to sign. My brother does not want to sign, without getting his "piece of the pie" as he puts it, meaning one-third of the proceeds. Is he legally entitled to any of the proceeds?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

btyko said:
What is the name of your state? Florida

I posted this in the condo section, but perhaps it would be better in this section:

My mother is 80 years old. Several years ago, she filed a quit-claim deed to retitle her condo as a life estate, with my brother and myself as the beneficiaries.

She now wants to sell the condo. The title company says that it needs my brother and me to sign. My brother does not want to sign, without getting his "piece of the pie" as he puts it, meaning one-third of the proceeds. Is he legally entitled to any of the proceeds?

My response:

Yes, and so are you. Both of you are the owners of the condo. Mom "quit claimed" all right and title to the condo - - with the exception of a Life Estate. She gave away her "ownership."

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">