• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

need help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

inlaw suing

What is the name of your state? SC ...

In 1991, my in laws sent $3,000 to be used as a down payment on a 10-acre tract. There was one stipulation: they could live on an acre until they died. We accepted the deal and put the property in my husband‘s and my name. In June 1992, they sent $3,500 to help us move, install septic tanks and a well for the two families to share.

Life was challenging but we never went back on our agreement.

In 2004, after my father in law passed away and during a marital separation from my husband, his mother went behind my back and had him give her a letter stating that she had paid for that acre. The letter was not dated, notarized, witnessed or signed by me. My husband said he NEVER thought she would use that letter. My husband and I reconciled in Oct 2004 and I found out about this letter in May 2005.

Now, we are being sued. She wants the acre so she can sell her mobile home and make some money on the deal. We have told her to have her mobile home moved but her response was “talk to my lawyer”. She has also built a shed on this property.

Does she have a case? Can we counter sue for lot rent, water (we pay the electricity bill), our attorney fees and/or property taxes on her shed? I would really like her to stop this nonsense, but I do not think that is going to happen, so I want to be prepared. Any advice you can give us would be greatly appreciated!!

tirednconfused

i feel your pain...if the land is in both your husband's and your name, then all he did was give her was his rights to that acre. your rights to it should still be in affect. Be sure to talk with a lawyer that is well versed and specializes in real estate law. Good Luck

scneedshelp

but but but.... this letter was written on a sheet of paper my mom in law had at her house. Is it REALLY legal and binding? Her signature is not even on the letter.

We were served today by her attorney :( . It list my husband, myself, and the two deceased people we are buying it from as defendants.

I spoke with an attorney when the threat first arose. He told me that it would not get this far because she had no right to it.

I am confused about the wording. It mentions our entire 10 acre tract, but no where do I see mention of an acre. Please tell me she is not suing for ALL of our property???

Should I be worried?

HomeGuru

inlaw suing said:
What is the name of your state? SC ...

In 1991, my in laws sent $3,000 to be used as a down payment on a 10-acre tract. There was one stipulation: they could live on an acre until they died. We accepted the deal and put the property in my husband‘s and my name. In June 1992, they sent $3,500 to help us move, install septic tanks and a well for the two families to share.

Life was challenging but we never went back on our agreement.

In 2004, after my father in law passed away and during a marital separation from my husband, his mother went behind my back and had him give her a letter stating that she had paid for that acre. The letter was not dated, notarized, witnessed or signed by me. My husband said he NEVER thought she would use that letter. My husband and I reconciled in Oct 2004 and I found out about this letter in May 2005.

Now, we are being sued. She wants the acre so she can sell her mobile home and make some money on the deal. We have told her to have her mobile home moved but her response was “talk to my lawyer”. She has also built a shed on this property.

Does she have a case? Can we counter sue for lot rent, water (we pay the electricity bill), our attorney fees and/or property taxes on her shed? I would really like her to stop this nonsense, but I do not think that is going to happen, so I want to be prepared. Any advice you can give us would be greatly appreciated!!

**A: as you stated, title is held by you and your husband, therefore Mom has no interest in the property.

HomeGuru

scneedshelp said:
but but but.... this letter was written on a sheet of paper my mom in law had at her house. Is it REALLY legal and binding? Her signature is not even on the letter.

We were served today by her attorney :( . It list my husband, myself, and the two deceased people we are buying it from as defendants.

I spoke with an attorney when the threat first arose. He told me that it would not get this far because she had no right to it.

I am confused about the wording. It mentions our entire 10 acre tract, but no where do I see mention of an acre. Please tell me she is not suing for ALL of our property???

Should I be worried?

**A: who are you? You are not the original poster.

scneedshelp

I am the original poster. With this pile of papers, errrr, filing system, I seem to have misplaced my original password. Sorry!

Thank you HomeGuru!! I have been hoping you would reply. I like your bluntness!!

I can't believe we're getting ready to spend thousands of dollars to hang onto something we are still purchasing. :(

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">