• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

property associations

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

k8findley

What is the name of your state? MO
After a Tax sale of property, I (the new owner) recieved a property association bill for one year, for 2005. The association also tells me the previous owner had not paid while it was up for the tax sale 2 years.
The association wants me to pay the bill even though the property was still technically his. (He had 2 years to regain ownership and pay me back taxes.) .
Do I have to pay the property association or was this debt his? This was not told to me during the tax sale nor from the city when I paid the city taxes for 2 years. There is no lein on the deed.
Thanks

divgradcurl

There is no lein on the deed.
But there probably will be if you don't pay the back dues.

Maybe you could try and sue the former homeowner for the unpaid dues, but if they couldn't pay the taxes, they probably couldn't pay a judgment either.

HomeGuru

k8findley said:
What is the name of your state? MO
After a Tax sale of property, I (the new owner) recieved a property association bill for one year, for 2005. The association also tells me the previous owner had not paid while it was up for the tax sale 2 years.
The association wants me to pay the bill even though the property was still technically his. (He had 2 years to regain ownership and pay me back taxes.) .
Do I have to pay the property association or was this debt his? This was not told to me during the tax sale nor from the city when I paid the city taxes for 2 years. There is no lein on the deed.
Thanks

**A: tell the HOA to show you the law that requires you to pay for taxes prior to your ownership.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">