• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Disability Delayed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FredZeppelin

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? New Jersey
My wife has a disability claim in NJ for her epilepsy, and her last employer has been slow to return forms and difficult in general with the one form required of him. The employer form first requested of him was not completed and returned until 2-3 weeks after first requested. It was later brought to our attention that it was filled out incorrectly, since during that time the company changed entities, thus requiring two forms to be filled out. We verified with the company that handles the [previous] employer's payroll that the correct information was given to them (the previous employer, two separate forms for each entity), yet only one was sent to us. For 2 weeks now, we have been waiting for him to submit the correct completed forms to us (as he has acknowledged the mistake on the first form submitted).

Do we have any legal recourse to get him to stop delaying us? My wife left the company on bad terms from a payroll dispute, so I would guess that would be the reason he is dragging his feet.

Thanks for any and all help in advance.

ellencee

I wish I could offer a method of resolution but two to three weeks is not long enough to qualify for a claim of intentionally delaying the process. Your best bet to get the whole matter expedited is to contact your Senator in the US Congress. Usually, Senators have someone in their office who manages SS problems. I imagine a call or a letter from a US Senator would be enough incentive to get the forms completed accurately and submitted promptly.
EC

CancerSurvivor

I hate to say that if you are upset about 2-3 weeks delay you are going to be beside yourself once you finally send it off to the Gov't. I have cancer and one of my surgeries left me disabled. I was DENIED twice and I appealed and got a hearing set up. it took over a year to get my disability. It took seven months to finally get a hearing for my case, and when I finally did it was set nine months from the time I got my letter. I wrote letters to the Gov. of my state and every State Rep. that I could find an address for and told them that I was going to lose my cars,house, and everyting I owned (which was true) if I had to waite that long. Luckily I wrote the write person and got my hearing moved up by 6 months (best they could do).

You dont get any disability for the first 5 months anyway.

Hate to say it but you have a bigger mountain to climb than getting th epapers in a timely maner. I hope everything works out for you, but in all honestly it was easier dealing with my cancer and my disability than actually getting my disability money. There is red tape like you would not believe.

I suggest that if she does not get approved on the first try, start writing your Congressmen, State Reps, and Gov. it worked for me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">