• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

golfer liability for property damage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

golferdad

What is the name of your state?undefinedWhat is the name of your state?North Carolina.
I was playing golf with my 12 year-old son yesterday when he hooked a tee shot off the fairway and into the back of a house that is on the the fairway. No one was injured - thankfully - but the errant ball did cause some minor damage to the mullion of a door. It did not break any glass, but simply broke off about an 8" verticle piece of decorative plastic divider. Inspecting the damage, I noticed the door had areas that had been previously damaged by other impacts of balls. Wishing to do the right thing I gave the homeowner my name and contact information. However, after further thought and input from friends who are homeowners on golf course fairways, I am uncertain whether I have any legal or even moral obligation to repair the damage. Whichever the case, I still wish to do the right thing whatever that turns out to be. Thanks!

Warped

I'm not a lawyer!

I won't address the legal aspect of this but, IMHO you are morally responsible to pay for the damage. The homeowner probably isn't going to replace the door with any money you pay until it's just beat all to hell but that shouldn't matter. Pay and leave with a clear conscience. :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">