• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mail Delivery

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nobelangel

What is the name of your state?California
I reside in Oceanside, California. I would like to know what the laws are in regards to Mail Carrier Delivery to my home. Here is the situation:
I have already had to drive across town to the mail post office to retrieve my mail because my dog had barked at the mail man when she was outside with me (she was not on a leash). The mailman claimed he was "attacked by my dog", he was not, the post office held my mail and sent me a letter stating that I had to keep my dog on a leash or in the backyard. That was months ago. Today, the same thing happend. My dog was outside with me in the small side of our yard. She saw the mailman approach and she went to bark at him. The mailman ran out into the middle of the street and began to swing at her with his mail bag. I had already begun to run after my dog and when my dog saw me coming to get her she had stopped barking and was about to come to me when she saw the mailman swing at her AGAIN with his mail bag. My dog then began to run away and up the street with me going after her. The mailman went across the street from my house to deliver mail to my neighbor. My dog and I were on that same side of the street just up a few homes. I turned around and saw the mailman glaring at me as I was walking back home with my dog (I had her by the collar). I tied my dog up in the backyard and continued my yardwork. When I looked up after about 10 minutes, I had seen the mailman walk down the opposite side of the street and saw him glaring at me. I called the main post office to let them know what had happened and they told me that I have to get a PO Box because the Post Office will no longer deliver mail to my house, unless I get rid of the dog. I told the supervisor that is NOT going to happen and I will not pay for a PO Box.
What are the laws concerning mail delivery? I am extremely upset with this post man. My dog has never bitten anyone. She will not bite anyone unless she is given the command. My dear next door neighbor also works for the Post Office so I will speak with him when he gets home. In the meantime, what am I to do, and how can I get my mail delivered to my home?

BelizeBreeze

This is easy. Keep the damn dog on a lease or in the back yard.
Or drive across country.

Do you think you have the right to endanger someone else's life?

JETX

nobelangel said:
I called the main post office to let them know what had happened and they told me that I have to get a PO Box because the Post Office will no longer deliver mail to my house, unless I get rid of the dog.
Gee, seems pretty simple to me.

I told the supervisor that is NOT going to happen and I will not pay for a PO Box.
Okay. No problem. There is no obligation for you to get a PO box.

What are the laws concerning mail delivery?
There is NO obligation for the USPS to make 'home' delivery to a house that is known to be a risk. You were warned, and chose to ignore the warning.

I am extremely upset with this post man.
Why?? He is just doing his job. Where does it say that he should risk physical injury to try to do a service for you??

My dog has never bitten anyone.
Yet.

She will not bite anyone unless she is given the command.
Very telling. Your own post implies that your dog has been attack trained.
I also find it very telling that you seem to have omitted the breed of your dog. What breed of dog is it??

In the meantime, what am I to do
Gee, sounds like you are going to have to make arrangements to change your address to 'general delivery' and go by the Post office and pick up your mail..... or get a PO box or PMB.

and how can I get my mail delivered to my home?
Maybe you can get your friend to deliver it to you.

Oh, and since you live in California... you might familiarize yourself with 'Dangerous and Vicious Dog' laws at Cal. Food & Ag. Code D 14, CH 9 § 31601-31683 at:
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/calawquery?codesection=fac&codebody=&hits=20

Here are the 'sample' letters from the USPS (POSTAL BULLETIN 22153):
Sample Warning Letter #1

Dear Postal Customer:
Your letter carrier takes pride in delivering your mail promptly and efficiently. That means being able to approach your mailbox without interference from your pet. Although your dog may not be known to bite or otherwise be dangerous to people, your carrier has expressed concern about its behavior. I believe you will agree that this concern is understandable since each year thousands of letter carriers are bitten or physically harmed by dogs. This letter is to inform you that we are concerned your dog may have a propensity to attack and to bite or otherwise injure your letter carrier. To provide you uninterrupted mail delivery while protecting our letter carriers, the Postal Service is requesting your assistance. Please confine your dog, either in the house or tethered or fenced outdoors, away from the route your carrier uses to deliver your mail.
We appreciate your cooperation.
Sincerely,

Sample Warning Letter #3
Dear Postal Customer:
We were unable to deliver your mail recently because your unrestrained dog threatened our letter carrier. We previously notified you of our concern that your dog might have a propensity to attack and to bite or otherwise injure your letter carrier. That concern was based on prior observations. We are sorry for any inconvenience the interruption of your mail delivery might have caused. However, I think you can understand that we must protect our employees from potential injury. If your carrier is threatened by your unrestrained dog again, we must take further action. That action will require you to either arrange to obtain your mail at a Post Office box or install a mail receptacle at the curb in front of your residence for home delivery.
To restore delivery at this time, please pick up your mail at our Post Office, which is located at [ADDRESS]. You will be asked to sign a statement assuring us that you will keep your dog restrained during normal delivery hours.
Thank you for your cooperation.
Sincerely,

Sample Warning Letter #4
Dear Postal Customer:
We previously notified you that your dog is considered to be a danger to your letter carrier. Yet, on [DATE], our letter carrier was again threatened by your dog. As a result of this incident, I must ask you to choose within the next [NUMBER] days one of the following options for receiving your mail:
Rent a Post Office box to receive your mail.
Install a mail receptacle at the curb of your home.
Until you have informed us of your decision, your mail will be held at [POST OFFICE AND ADDRESS]. It will be available for pickup during normal business hours, which are [INSERT YOUR OFFICE’S MONDAY–FRIDAY AND SATURDAY HOURS]. If you have not picked up your mail within [NUMBER OF DAYS], we will return it to the senders. If you have any questions concerning this policy, please call [NAME] at [PHONE NUMBER].
Sincerely,

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">