• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

getting ripped off

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sunnyaz

What is the name of your state? Arizona

i have a piece of property i currently rent out. This property was purchased by myself and my (now) ex-husband. Anyway, my ex did not help pay any of the mortgage on this property and because his name is on the title he now wants half. Prior to our divorce i removed my name from the deed and transferred it to my son. The deed is now in my son and ex-husbands name but I am the rightful owner.
Is there anything I can do to prevent my ex from ripping me off? It's currently being rented out and he approached the tenants and advised them they needed to pay him the rent moving forward as he was the owner. Please help.

seniorjudge

The deed is now in my son and ex-husbands name but I am the rightful owner. Is there anything I can do to prevent my ex from ripping me off?

Your son and your ex-husband are the rightful owners of this land; whatever they decide to do with it is completely up to them.

sunnyaz

Do both parties have to agree to rent the property out? If one owner wants to rent it out can the other object to it?

seniorjudge

sunnyaz said:
Do both parties have to agree to rent the property out? If one owner wants to rent it out can the other object to it?
Your son and your ex-husband are the rightful owners of this land; whatever they decide to do with it is completely up to them.

HomeGuru

seniorjudge said:

**A: unless your son is a minor, I would say stay out of this mess.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">