• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

return of earnest money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mlyon

What is the name of your state? Texas

Last year i paid $1,000.00 earnest money to a title company for property i was buying. Several weeks after we were supose to close on the property the sellers backed out. We both signed release forms with the title company so i could get my money back, but the title company is still holding my money. They said they would not release my money until someone paid for the survey that was done on the property. The people still live there and still have their home for sale. The survey company said they would be paid at closing by whomever buys the property.

Can the title company hold my money, for a sale that the seller backed out of, for this other company? I did not know that title companies were also collection agencies for other companies.

HomeGuru

mlyon said:
What is the name of your state? Texas

Last year i paid $1,000.00 earnest money to a title company for property i was buying. Several weeks after we were supose to close on the property the sellers backed out. We both signed release forms with the title company so i could get my money back, but the title company is still holding my money. They said they would not release my money until someone paid for the survey that was done on the property. The people still live there and still have their home for sale. The survey company said they would be paid at closing by whomever buys the property.

Can the title company hold my money, for a sale that the seller backed out of, for this other company? I did not know that title companies were also collection agencies for other companies.

**A: who ordered the survey and on whose behalf?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">