• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property Owned by Three

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

willmkr

What is the name of your state? Minnesota

My two brothers and I inherited a vacation property about ten years ago. The property was given to us equally by means of a warranty deed. All bills for the property are sent to me and are paid by me. Because the property has not been used, it has required many repairs. To date, I have spent about $4,000 in materials and have done all the labor myself. I have not received one cent from either of my brothers, not even for the real estate taxes I've paid. My older brother is in poor health and has a large family that will probably inherit his one-third of the property. My questions are: can his family actually inherit his one-third of the property? and, is there a means by which I can recover the portion of exenses from his heirs for his one-third of the property? Thank you.

Will

BelizeBreeze

willmkr said:
What is the name of your state? Minnesota

My two brothers and I inherited a vacation property about ten years ago. The property was given to us equally by means of a warranty deed. All bills for the property are sent to me and are paid by me. Because the property has not been used, it has required many repairs. To date, I have spent about $4,000 in materials and have done all the labor myself. I have not received one cent from either of my brothers, not even for the real estate taxes I've paid. My older brother is in poor health and has a large family that will probably inherit his one-third of the property.
WHY would you not send them a bill?
My questions are: can his family actually inherit his one-third of the property?
yep, sure can.
and, is there a means by which I can recover the portion of exenses from his heirs for his one-third of the property? Thank you.

Will
PARTITION for sale. It's the ONLY way you MAY be allowed to show a higher degree of ownership interest. But, in any event, it's the only way you're going to be able to recoup your 1/3 share.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">