• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Postal Inspectors Investigating My Job

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zoe1157

undefinedWhat is the name of your state? Illinois

I am a three year non-career postal employee. I do a good job, have never had any problems, and then about a month ago I wrote a check for some packages I mailed to my ex-husband and to my mother. I knew, from my bank records, that the check had been returned. At the time, our bank account was a mess but not on purpose. One miscalculation caused a chain reaction and it took us awhile to get it all straightened out. I was prepared to make restitution for the check and whatever fees incurred, and I was fully expecting to get a letter from whoever collects on checks. Instead, a U.S. postal inspector shows up at my office, said he was investigating the returned check, and wanted a detailed timeline of everything that happened before the check was deposited, wanted to know who I sent the packages to, their names, addresses, and phone numbers, my bank account number, my car tag # and told me I had to provide him with six months worth of bank statements before he would tell me how to make restitution for the overdraft.

I'm no expert on postal law, but all this seems a bit extreme for a returned check for less than $50. He called my integrity into question, asked me all kinds of personal questions about my finances, and treated my like I committed a crime. I've never, ever written a bad check to the postal service. I am very scrupulous about that. I will admit to some poor recordkeeping and to overdrawing the account, but the overdrafts and the checks are always paid and the situation has always arisen because my husband didn't write something down or I neglected to tell him of something I paid for. It's never been deliberate or for fraudulent purposes.

I get the feeling this guy is trying to pin something on me, and wants me to provide him with the rope he needs to hang me. My question is, can he do this? Do I have to give him six months worth of bank statements because of one returned check that I've freely admitted to and offered to make restitution for? Should I get a lawyer, even though I've done nothing wrong and can't really afford one? I'm really upset and worried about this and I do not want to lose my job. Can anyone help?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">