• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

LIfe estate--is the property mine if the owner dies?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HEBerube

I am living in the house in which I grew up in Massachusetts. When I divorced my husband, my son's name was put on the deed of the house as a condition of our separation, essentially putting the house in trust for him. I have a life estate in the property. I understand that when I die, my son will own the house (he is now 24--I am 51). But what happens if he dies?--not something I like to think about, but it happens. I own the mortgage (about $100,000). Do I become owner of the property as well? Or does my son need to make a will? I have no other children. My ex husband is still alive. Thanks.
Wondering and Worried

HomeGuru

HEBerube said:
I am living in the house in which I grew up in Massachusetts. When I divorced my husband, my son's name was put on the deed of the house as a condition of our separation, essentially putting the house in trust for him. I have a life estate in the property. I understand that when I die, my son will own the house (he is now 24--I am 51). But what happens if he dies?--not something I like to think about, but it happens. I own the mortgage (about $100,000). Do I become owner of the property as well? Or does my son need to make a will? I have no other children. My ex husband is still alive. Thanks.
Wondering and Worried

**A: the answer should be in the recorded trust document.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">