• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Welfare worker using my misfortune against me!!!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aktjw7804

What is the name of your state?IN I live next door to a man who works at the welfare office. We got along ok at first, then I lost my job and had to get asisstance for myself and my expecting wife. Some problems started with my nieghbor and his wife brought up the fact we recieve food stamps and she said I was worthless and didn't want to work. A few weeeks later this same women and her childern caught me in the yard and stared in again saying " If you mess with our proerty or us, I'll make sure your family is kicked of food stamps!!" This harassment has went on for weeks. They throw things into my yard and harass me and my family every chance they get. This nieghbor isn't our case worker and my understanding is he isn't supposed to know what assistance we recieve. What can I do and how do I do it! He is breaking the law and no one cares! I recently got a job and fear of losing assistance is no longer a factor. I want some satisfaction! Please help me! stuck in limbo

fmic541

you didn't mention your state?

Most states have laws against harassment, which basically states that when someone intentionally does anything to annoy or anger you, and that is the sole purpose, its is a violation of the law. There are also "right to privacy laws", and or you might go to the other person boss at work. It is posable to bring suit against the government, without their permission, if it is for "acting in bad faith."

Last edited:
aktjw7804 said:
What is the name of your state?IN I live next door to a man who works at the welfare office. We got along ok at first, then I lost my job and had to get asisstance for myself and my expecting wife. Some problems started with my nieghbor and his wife brought up the fact we recieve food stamps and she said I was worthless and didn't want to work. A few weeeks later this same women and her childern caught me in the yard and stared in again saying " If you mess with our proerty or us, I'll make sure your family is kicked of food stamps!!" This harassment has went on for weeks. They throw things into my yard and harass me and my family every chance they get. This nieghbor isn't our case worker and my understanding is he isn't supposed to know what assistance we recieve. What can I do and how do I do it! He is breaking the law and no one cares! I recently got a job and fear of losing assistance is no longer a factor. I want some satisfaction! Please help me! stuck in limbo
Here is what I would do if I simply wanted to be vindictive. I would send a letter of complaint to the welfare commissioner of my state complaining about the situation and would also point out that I would be following up with a complaint to the U.S. department of Agriculture. Although food stamp programs are administered by the states they are in fact funded by the federal government and subject to regulations of the department of agriculture, the most important of which is maintaining client privacy and impartiality. States which fail to do this can be subjected to severe fines, so you just might get some attention.

aktjw7804

Happy Trails said:
Just something to consider, but maybe the wife found out you were on food stamps by seeing you use them at the store.
For one, the food stamps aren't like they used to be. It comes in form of a debt card in which, unless she was standind right next to me , she wouldn't know if it was my bank card or credit card. I surely would have noticed her standing 1-3 feet next to me. Thanks for your input.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">