• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandfathered Property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

acalloway

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?Montana
There is an elderly gentleman who has horses in the city limits and has had for over 50 years. He wants to will his property to his granddaughter. The City Councel told him that she would not be allowed to keep the horses there. My question is: If he does not sell the property, does the grandfather clause go with the property?

Last edited:

divgradcurl

acalloway said:
There is an elderly gentleman who has horses in the city limits and has had for over 50 years. He wants to will his property to his granddaughter. The City Councel told him that she would not be allowed to keep the horses there. My question is: If he does not sell the property, does the grandfather clause go with the property?
You already have the answer: No.

The reason he was allowed to keep horses is because he had them prior to the change in the law. Any new owner, however they obtain ownership of the property, will take the property subject to the laws as they are today -- in other words, no horses. The zoning variance granted the current owner is a courtesy, not a "right" or an "easement" that can be transferred to another.

BelizeBreeze

divgradcurl said:
What did I miss?
Two posts. This one after I already told the poster NO.

Hell, why not get a second opinion, third or fourth until you get the one you want to hear.....

I'M IN A PISSY MOOD TONIGHT! ;)

HomeGuru

acalloway said:

**A: yes since he is a grandfather.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">