• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Corporate profit sharing/buyout with deadbeat partner

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jworthy

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? MN

I and two other people formed a corporation 5 years ago that offers a software service. We are each 1/3 partners and distributed profits equally for the first 3 1/2 years. Unfortunately, 2 of us have done 99% of the work (all software development, managing the books, servicing acct). The President and I now realize partner number 3 is never going to do anything. We would like to divide profits again now but want 'consideration' for all our time over the last 18 months. Can we call a board of directors/shareholders meeting and elect ourselves salaries or bonuses and make them retroactive? We also want to buy partner 3 out but he wants 1/3 of what is in the bank account (rediculous...at least morally). I'm trying to convince our President to call a meeting so I can make a motion to vote on compensation, then another motion to disolve the corp. (We can easily form a new partnership and our clients would understand) If we do this can we get sued? Can we continue to use the software we developed or does partner 3 have some right to profit from it?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">