• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hit car parked on street while backing out of driveway

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ivyireland

Georgia What is the name of your state?

A car was parked facing the wrong way on the opposite side of the street even with my driveway. While backing out, I did not see the car and backed into it. Since the car was parked across from my driveway on the street, is it still my fault? I live in a subdivision and people always block the street half way by parking on the opposite side of the street across from my driveway. The people parking there are here to look at houses or they work in the sales office. The do not provide a parking area for them so they always park on the street. Please let me know if there are any laws about this. She was parked facing the wrong way on the street although I would have hit her no matter which way she was facing. Thanks very much for your time. Leslie

Happy Trails

Ivyireland said:
Georgia What is the name of your state?

A car was parked facing the wrong way on the opposite side of the street even with my driveway. While backing out, I did not see the car and backed into it. Since the car was parked across from my driveway on the street, is it still my fault? I live in a subdivision and people always block the street half way by parking on the opposite side of the street across from my driveway. The people parking there are here to look at houses or they work in the sales office. The do not provide a parking area for them so they always park on the street. Please let me know if there are any laws about this. She was parked facing the wrong way on the street although I would have hit her no matter which way she was facing. Thanks very much for your time. Leslie
Yes, you are liable. When you back up you have a duty to make sure you can do it safely.

Yes you are liable for the damages. What I don't understand is...you say people always park near your driveway....I would think you would practice extra caution since it's not something out of the ordinary :confused:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">