• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Eligible for unemployment ???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ht_squared

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?Texas
In a meeting with my COO, he said he felt it best if we severed our relationship (mine and the company's). He gave no concrete reasons as to why, and when I pressed this, he brought up trivialities like I was late to an event ONE time, or that it was difficult to get in touch with me. On that one I asked for specifics and challenged him to pull our call logs at Verizon to give me specifics when I had not responded to any voicemail messages. So I never agreed to "quit," but I did say that I definitely wanted to work until the end of the month and we left it like that. Will I be considered ineligible for unemployment benefits if I quit? If so, will I need to force them to terminate me and give cause? Or what? Kind of floundering here as to what to do.

TxToy

I was just looking into this this morning. According to the Texas unemployment office website, there are 3 main areas where you need to meet qualification. 1. Past Wages, 2. Ongoing availability and work search and 3. Job separation. It sounds like you are asking about job separation so here is what they say.

You must be unemployed or partially unemployed through no fault of your own to receive benefits. Examples of qualifying reasons are:
1. Laid off due to lack of work
2. You are still working but the employer reduced your hours (reduction of hrs must not be result of disciplinary action).
3. Fired without work-related misconduct.
4. You quit for a good work-related or medical reason.
5. You quit to protect yourself from family violence or stalking.

Do a search and you can find the website, has all the info you need. Hope this helps.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
In addition, in the large majority of cases (I do not say all, but I believe from what you say you should fall into the majority) when an employee is presented with a quit-or-be-fired choice, even if they choose the quit option they are considered to be eligible for unemployment since they really did not have any choice about being out of work.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">