• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Special Assessment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

g9940

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?Indiana My HOA levied a "special assessment" that was roughly 50 percent of the yearly. The reason was delinquent homeowners, however in the covenants it states the HOA will set a budget that allows for both emergencies and contingencies. It also states they will they will go after delinquent homeowners legally. My arguement is that they did neither of those things and then levied a special assessment so those of us that did pay the yearly would make up for the deficit. By agreeing to the covenant I am bound to the special assessment, but didn't the HOA violate the covenant by failing to do the above? It's the "but-for" idea that there would have been no reason for the special assessment.

HomeGuru

g9940 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?Indiana My HOA levied a "special assessment" that was roughly 50 percent of the yearly. The reason was delinquent homeowners, however in the covenants it states the HOA will set a budget that allows for both emergencies and contingencies. It also states they will they will go after delinquent homeowners legally. My arguement is that they did neither of those things and then levied a special assessment so those of us that did pay the yearly would make up for the deficit. By agreeing to the covenant I am bound to the special assessment, but didn't the HOA violate the covenant by failing to do the above? It's the "but-for" idea that there would have been no reason for the special assessment.

**A: then get off your butt and sue theirs.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">