• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SF-86 Security Clearance Credit History

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Murdock_719

What is the name of your state? WV

I am currently filling out a SF-86 for an FBI contractor position. I obtained copies of all three of my credit reports and only had one minor delinquency (paid off).

Question 28 a) asks: In the last 7 years have you been over 180 days deliquency on any debt(s)? I answered yes stating the credit collection account and company.

Question 28 b) asks: Are you currenly over 90 days deliquent on any debt(s).

I want to be completly honest on my form and in the past my credit was not so good. In 1995/1996 I was a college student making less than $8,000/year. I racked up some debts that I was unable to pay. They consisted of one medical bill and three credit card debts (at least one of these cards was listed as a charge-off.)

In 2003 (after obtaining a position that was financially stable) I wanted to redeem myself financially so I obtained a copy of my credit report. I paid off the outstanding medical bill (from 1996). It no longer shows up on my report and I am unsure where to get the information on the debt (I don't have copies of any of the stuff since it went off my credit report I felt no need to keep them).

I attempted to contact the creditors listed on the credit report for the credit cards. The first (a store card) said that they had filed the card as a charge off and they considered the account closed. The other two (visas) informed me that my debt had been sold. One company was unable to give me information about the transfer because they only keep the records for so long after it is sold. The other company gave me a number but that company had also sold the debt, the number they gave me had been disconnected and it appears that company no longer exists. All three of these debts were removed from my credit report in 2003 due to the statute of limitations.

Anyway my question is what do I need to put on my SF-86 regarding these past debts? Am I currently over 90 days deliquent on a debt since the latter three were not paid? If so, where can I obtain information regarding these debts (how much is owed, who it is owed to)?

I believe that you are way past the statute of limitations for the credit card debt so you are not currently in debt in any legal sense. I wouldn't be concerned about it.

Murdock_719

I found this over the weekend and it reassured me that I do have reason for concern:

On the other hand, he failed to establish how he intends in the future to resolve the remaining six debts totaling approximately $20,000 which raise security concerns even though he argued under the statute of limitations he has no legal obligation to creditors who did not file timely claims. Clearance is denied.

The full case is here:
http://www.defenselink.mil/dodgc/doha/industrial/02-27133.h2.html

csporluck

Count 7 years back, not further back.. Do what the form tells you, don't do anything else. Heck, they'll simply reject your clearance because you can't follow directions. The whole point of the clerance is to see if you can be manipulated by foreign, or I guess domestic, types that could cause harm to the US.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">