• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Discrimination by spouse?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jldok

What is the name of your state? Oklahoma
After 24 years at the same job I was fired yesterday because by husband started his own company. We did replacement windows, siding & sunrooms. My husband is a carpenter that does small repair jobs, I keep his books for him. My boss said I was taking business from him. I never mentioned my husbands business to any customers. Can they fire me for what my husband does? Did we make a mistake by putting both our names on his business cards?

Beth3

Can they fire me for what my husband does? Yes.

Did we make a mistake by putting both our names on his business cards? I doubt that matters.

Your boss obviously sees the business you and your husband now operate as causing a conflict of interest. Whether that's accurate or not, if the boss wishes to fire you for this reason, he may.

Jldok

discrmination for being female?

Oklahoma. When I was terminated it was because my husbands business was a conflict of interest. The orginal owner died of cancer & sold the business 18 months ago. The new boss had an employee that came with him. This employee does side jobs on weekends and nights that are of the same nature as our business. Is it discrimination since he allows one employee to do this but not me? I was in charge of the crews (all men) he put another employee in charge of them (a man.) He told me that the crews wouldn't listen to me because I am a woman. I had charge of the crews for over 9 months and never had a problem with them listening to me. Is there any recourse for this? :)

HomeGuru

Jldok said:
Oklahoma. When I was terminated it was because my husbands business was a conflict of interest. The orginal owner died of cancer & sold the business 18 months ago. The new boss had an employee that came with him. This employee does side jobs on weekends and nights that are of the same nature as our business. Is it discrimination since he allows one employee to do this but not me? I was in charge of the crews (all men) he put another employee in charge of them (a man.) He told me that the crews wouldn't listen to me because I am a woman. I had charge of the crews for over 9 months and never had a problem with them listening to me. Is there any recourse for this? :)

**A: you do not have a case. Read the discrimination laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">