• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

trying to be outsmarted!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jocelyn78

What is the name of your state? I live in Florida, but the question pertains to North Carolina. i am recently divorced- no fault, sought by the ex-wife. All she asked for in the divorce was that her maiden name be reinstated. We actually own property together, which was given to us as a wedding present..free and clear ,no mortgage, in both of our names. The property consists of a 3.3 acre parcel containing a house and a farm. I recently received papers in the mail from her lawyer basically asking me to sign over my share as a gift. I also just found out that the property is for sale. The property has been leased out for some time now, which i do not receive any of the profits. The original divorce papers never stated anything about the property or any of the other assets that we aquired during our marrige, which i now am realizing that it is a problem. My purpose for seeking advice is to find out what type of lawyer i need to help me getr some sort of buy out or to make some sort of monetary agreement for the property that is in both of our names. Also, how do i respond to the papers without signing them? Any advice or help would be appreciated!

Warped

I'm not a lawyer!

Interesting situation. Whose family gave you and your ex the property? I believe that you can file an action of partition (did I get that right HomeGuru?) and not only force the sale but also force a split of the proceeds. Don't take this as gospel, I just read these forums for the free legal tips they provide. :D

HomeGuru

jocelyn78 said:
What is the name of your state? I live in Florida, but the question pertains to North Carolina. i am recently divorced- no fault, sought by the ex-wife. All she asked for in the divorce was that her maiden name be reinstated. We actually own property together, which was given to us as a wedding present..free and clear ,no mortgage, in both of our names. The property consists of a 3.3 acre parcel containing a house and a farm. I recently received papers in the mail from her lawyer basically asking me to sign over my share as a gift. I also just found out that the property is for sale. The property has been leased out for some time now, which i do not receive any of the profits. The original divorce papers never stated anything about the property or any of the other assets that we aquired during our marrige, which i now am realizing that it is a problem. My purpose for seeking advice is to find out what type of lawyer i need to help me getr some sort of buy out or to make some sort of monetary agreement for the property that is in both of our names. Also, how do i respond to the papers without signing them? Any advice or help would be appreciated!

**A: do not sign anything and hire a real estate attorney.

jocelyn78

thanks for the tips! to warped... the land was a gift from both sides. to homeguru....do i hire a lawyer in the state that i live in, florida, or the state that the property is in, north carolina? alsp, do i need to respond to the papers? I contacted a real estate lawyer today and am waiting to hear if he is interedsted in helping me with my case. Thanks again!

HomeGuru

jocelyn78 said:
thanks for the tips! to warped... the land was a gift from both sides. to homeguru....do i hire a lawyer in the state that i live in, florida, or the state that the property is in, north carolina? alsp, do i need to respond to the papers? I contacted a real estate lawyer today and am waiting to hear if he is interedsted in helping me with my case. Thanks again!
**A: NC............

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">