• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What happens next?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Happy_girls123

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? CA

I sustained a hand injury 3 years ago that has required 2 surgeries and multiple procedures. As a result, I have now developed RSD. I saw my primary doctor recently who has stated I have reached MMI. I am waiting for a copy of his report.

In the meantime, I received a letter from the defense for a QME and deposition in October. I assume this was because they have received notification of the MMI. My w/c payments have stopped coming, but I haven't received any letter from the company ( I no longer work for the company I was with when I was injured- we moved because my husband was relocated (military)

I do have a lawyer, but he hasn't returned any of my emails or phone calls for the past month. The case worker says she can't talk to me directly since I have a lawyer. So here are my questions:

1- what happens next?
2- Will I received some kind of notification from Traveler's Insurance stating why my workers comp payments have stopped? I really need one to give to my long term disability carrier because that will change my benefits with them.
3. What can I expect from a QME and Deposition.

Thanks for your help.

sweetsue

Time to get a new lawyer....Schedule an appointment with a new attorney in California .. they will complete the substitution form and submit to the WCAB - it will not cost you anything as the attorneys will split the fee after the judge reviews.

The purpose of the deposition is to lower your MMI rating. RSD is not a ratable disability under 2005 guidelines, but if you reached MMI in 2004 then the RSD is making your permanent disability rating very high.

The insurance company will stop sending you checks because they have paid out their estimate of 85% of the total permanent disability money that they believe will be awarded in a settlement.

Most injuries do not result in lifetime awards so after an estimated amount has been paid the checks stop. This is so there is still money "in the pot" to negotiate a settlement with you when the time comes.

You will need to go back to some sort of work for income and not count on the settlement or work comp which will not ever be enoughor last for your lifetime.

grandma2004

My husband suffered an injury to a ligament in his wrist at work, and required surgery, possibly another upcoming surgery. What do the abbreviations in your posting mean? What is RSD, MMI, and QME?

Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">