• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

House Fire-Need Advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

meinMN

What is the name of your state? Minnesota

12 days ago I had a fire in our home and I will try to summarize this situation as it is lengthy. Currently my wife and myself are to the point where we just received a letter from the insurance company "requesting" a 45-90 minute taped interview with a special investigator. As well as a waiver for me to sign, not my wife, authorizing the insurance company to investigate every aspect of me (credit, financial, hospital, criminal etc...).

Here is how it all began. I was in my bedroom getting dressed, just put on my underware, when the smoke alarm beeped once. I just had to replace the battery in the other one two weeks ago so I didn't think anything of it. Then it started to blare, right after I put on my shorts. I turned and looked and smoke was billowing from the bathroom into the hallway. I ran past the bathroom, into the kitchen, grabbed the cat and threw it outside and called 911. Then I grabbed a load of pictures from the living room and brought them outside. Went back in, got another load and saw smoke coming into the living room. I wasn't going to chance another trip.

Fire department came, knocked down flames and had to cut vent holes in roof because it was in the ceiling, I believe they had to spray in there too. They indicated that was an electrical fire.

I immediately called the insurance company and the process begins. An adjuster comes out (the next day), takes pictures, talks to me and my wife and gets a recorded statement from me. Informs us that there is too much damage in home for himself to handle and that another adjuster would be handling the structure and he would handle personal property. The other adjuster would contact us in three days when he gets back from vacation, he would also get us an expense check (because the first adjuster didn't have the right checkbook).

The next day an independant forensic inspector comes to the house. Not even 30 minutes goes by when he indicates to me the point of origin of the fire, which was directly above an electrical circuit for the bathroom fan. The bathroom fan has not worked since we bought the home 16 months ago, we never turn it on but we do have three young children that may of.

Then the other adjuster gets back from vacation, meets with us and reluctantly gives us a living expense check. Offers us very little knowledge but said he would keep us updated on the progress of the investigation, daily if need be.

Now I know this is getting long winded but here are some facts about this situation.
-we are yet to receive ANY updates from any adjuster
-we have called asking questions, each time the questions are answered with a "I don't know" or one time it was "Don't call me, I'll call you" right after the remark of "What are you on a timeline?" The main question we want answered is when can we get a cleaning crew into the house to inventory items and determine what is salvageable
-I own a small business, it started a year ago and is really starting to take off
-When the fire started, I was in the house alone and my wife and three kids were at her mothers house
-I have yet to be asked any questions by anyone concerning the fire, except for the recorded statement with the first adjuster. I do not speculate on anything so the only things I stated were the facts that I knew.

I am now so frustrated in dealing with the insurance company and terrified with the advent of a "special investigator" and their request for me to waive my rights so they can pull up every single bit of information about me. I don't want to take a defensive posture by hiring a lawyer, because I have nothing to hide, but I also don't have time to deal with this (I work 7 days a week avg. 12 hrs a day). The way I look at it is that this hurts me financially WAY more than helps me (can go into detail if you want).

ANY KIND OF ASSISTANCE AND DIRECTION WOULD BE APPRECIATED!!!

Thank you, and if you got to this point I applaud you!

claimlaw

Stop where you are!

Do not sign anything. Do not give a recorded statement. You have no obligation to do either. If they want more info they can request an Examination Under Oath.

You are in a very tenuous position and have good reason to be concerned. Anything you do will only further the damage.

Get professional assistance. If you can find none, request a qualified referral from me or another on this forum.

BTW: You do have an obligation to cooperate with the insurer's investigation. Occasionally this incudes the release of specific personal information. It does not mean a blanket release such as the one they provided you. Do not sign it, instead talk with a qualified professional.

Claimlaw

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">