• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have a case for this firing?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Gmountain

I'm from New York. I was fired "at will" i.e. without cause. As a matter of fact, I was fired within days after receiving--which I have in my possession--an outstanding performance evaluation?

The reason I was really fired? My brother, the executive director of the not-for-profit, was forced, by Board of Directors vote, to resign...and to ameliorate the city funders who provide most of our money, all people associated with him (i.e. his brother) have to go too.

Interestingly, my brother informed the Board Chair that I have cancer. Indeed, I have recurring Hodgkin's Disease and it has led, over the years, to my taking sick leave, vacation time, etc.--but it's not interfered with my work (editorial, I have been able to do a lot athome).

Question: can I sue for being fired (like Tom Hanks in Philadelphia) for having a disease?

Bottom line--I was fired for no cause, and the Board was notified of my disease a week before I was told Sept. 1 is my last date.

Please advise!

THank you.

Ron

JETX

Gmountain said:
can I sue for being fired (like Tom Hanks in Philadelphia) for having a disease?
If you can PROVE that was the reason you were fired, possibly. However, it will be very hard and expensive to prove that was the reason.
You are either going to have to find an attorney who believes that was the ONLY reason you were terminated.... or have $20 to $30 THOUSAND to fund your case.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You could try contacting the EEOC and see if they have any comments. If you're claiming wrongful term based on disability discrimination, you'll need a right to sue letter from them before you can take any legal action anyway.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">