• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Squatter rights and Rent Control??? NYC

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

StreetScapesNYC

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? New York

I am currently in a hard situation. I have been renting a room from a gentleman that has been living in this apt for 20 years and it is under rent control. I recently found out that SSI has been paying the rent for the past 4 years and he may be losing SSI fairly soon. He is thinking of going back to his home land in South America and giving up the apt.

What rights do I have in obtaining the rent controlled apt as a person that has been living here for two years? If so, will I be able to take over his lease and continue at the same current rent rate? Please let me know what I can do and what steps I need to take.

Thanks with great appreciation.

StreetScapesNYC

HomeGuru

StreetScapesNYC said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? New York

I am currently in a hard situation. I have been renting a room from a gentleman that has been living in this apt for 20 years and it is under rent control. I recently found out that SSI has been paying the rent for the past 4 years and he may be losing SSI fairly soon. He is thinking of going back to his home land in South America and giving up the apt.

What rights do I have in obtaining the rent controlled apt as a person that has been living here for two years? If so, will I be able to take over his lease and continue at the same current rent rate? Please let me know what I can do and what steps I need to take.

Thanks with great appreciation.

StreetScapesNYC
**A: why is your name not on the lease?

HomeGuru

StreetScapesNYC said:
My name is not on the lease because I was told that the apt is Rent Controlled and adding my name to the lease will lose the rate.

**A: then you have no claim to the lease.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">